Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? . . . No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
~Romans 8:35, 38-39


Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Get rich with plastic, not cash!


... at least according to Hasbro.

Anyone who knew me as a kid will quickly acknowledge that Monopoly was unequivocally my favorite board game. And anyone who knows me now will acknowledge I'm all about the electronic age (even electronic banking). But Hasbro's claim to "wheel and deal your way to a fortune even faster using debit cards instead of cash" is crazy-talk!

Now I wasn't a math major, but if industry figures indicate that consumer's spend 12-18% more when using plastic over cash, the only way I'll make a fortune faster is if I'm the banker or retailer, not the consumer.

We're big Dave Ramsey fans around my house and are even using the envelope system with great success for all of our spending on groceries, gifts, entertainment, and whatnot. Not only is using cash good practice, but it also probably good for the kids to see that we're actually spending real money, and that a swipe of the plastic isn't all that's required for purchasing.

The bottom line... I doubt you will see "Monopoly Electronic Banking Edition" on my wish list!

No comments: