Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? . . . No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
~Romans 8:35, 38-39


Thursday, September 13, 2007

Piggy banks

We have started a chore chart for Josiah who is 4. He gets paid a little amount for doing his chores each day. To make it easier to visualize where his money is going (instead of envelopes) I found online a piggy bank called the Money Savvy Piggy Bank. It is listed on ToysRUs's website. I went yesterday (without the boys) to try to find this bank in the store.

As you can see, it has 4 slots for saving, spending, donating, and investing. This piggy bank has won awards and been featured on the Today Show, WGN News, and in Money Magazine. The store did not have this bank! (So I guess I'll have to order it and pay shipping). The store did, on the other hand, have plenty of ATM machines (several different brands) and 1 piggy bank, an electronic one which tells the child how much money is in the bank.


The recommended age for the electronic bank is 3 years and up. Now this might be fine for older children who already know how to count money, but I don't want my 4 year old told how much money he has. How will he learn to count money if he is told how much he has and doesn't have to count? I couldn't even find traditional piggy banks at the ToysRUs. (Maybe they aren't in the same place as the ATMs.) Needless to say, I was not too happy that I couldn't easily find somewhere local to buy the divided piggy bank.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.